For many years God has been faithfully leading, guiding, and transforming us as a people.
Now we are in a new season of life at Open Door and we are excited to see what God has for us next.
This page is designed to help you know a bit about the journey we are on and encourage you to participate.
It is an exciting time at Open Door and we hope you join us!
David Johnson has served as Senior Pastor and Lead Teaching Pastor at Open Door since 1980. On March 4, 2018, Dave announced that he would be ending his time on staff this coming November.
This announcement was the start of a new adventure for us as a people. For the first time in 38 years we are in the process of searching for a new Lead Pastor.
To help us navigate the process of finding a new Lead Pastor, we are partnering with NL Moore & Associates. Under the leadership of Nancy Moore, they are ministry consultants who love the local church and are committed to helping each local church thrive on its journey toward transformation.
Our search for a new Lead Pastor involves a clear and well thought through process. Developed by NL Moore and implemented by the Governing Board of Open Door, we are currently working through this process that we believe God will use for us to find our next Lead Pastor.
- In March 2018 we started the process by asking the people of Open Door to participate in a "Congregational Assessment". We were highly encouraged when 876 people chose to respond! The results of the Congregational Assessment were presented to the congregation on April 29, 2018 and a two-page Executive Summary was presented. Copies of the two-page summary are available at the Welcome Kiosk before and after services.
- Following the Congregational Assessment, we asked the people of Open Door to participate in focus groups designed to hear from them regarding their hopes and dreams for our faith community. Again we were extremely encouraged that approximately 264 people participated in a total of 19 focus groups and individual interviews. This totaled more that 25 hours of "listening to the voice" of the church as expressed through its people. On June 17, 2018 Nancy Moore presented a "Findings and Recommendations Report" based on the congregational assessment results and what was shared in the Focus Groups. Again, a two-page Executive Summary was presented. Copies of this two-page summary are also available at the Welcome Kiosk before and after services.
A very important step in the search process was the creation of a Search Team. This team was created by the Governing Board of Elders and is comprised of eleven members of Church of the Open Door. Doug Lang, who chairs the team, is joined by five women and five men. These individuals were intentionally chosen because they represent a cross-section of Open Door. Some of the factors taken into consideration were:
- Male and female would be equally represented.
- Age Range. A multi-generational Search Team where young and old are represented.
- Ministry Areas. Search Team members have been or currently are involved in the ministry areas of Open Door.
- Length of Involvement. Members range from being involved here from 3 years to 30 years.
- A Governing Board liaison. Governing Elder, Dave Fredrickson, is a member of the Search Team.
- A Staff liaison. Pastor of Formational Life, Anne-Marie Finsaas, is a member of the Search Team.
The Search Team will begin its prayerful process of interviews and discernment once our consultants, NL Moore & Associates, present to the team a set of candidates whom they’ve prequalified for the Lead Pastor position. The team will follow a rigorous selection path for narrowing down the pool to one candidate that they’ll recommend to the board. The board will then arrange for the selected candidate to preach at Open Door and meet the congregation before a vote is held.
This team was commissioned by Church of the Open Door on Mar 18, 2018. Please continue to pray for this Search Team as they seek to discern the person God is calling to shepherd Open Door as our next Lead Pastor.
As we seek God together in our search for a new Lead Pastor, we pray God will also do a work in us as a people.
Wether you are new to Open Door or have been a part of this church for a long time, we hope you are someone who carries this place in your heart.