For many years God has been faithfully leading, guiding, and transforming us as a people.
Now we are in a new season of life at Open Door and we are excited to see what God has for us next. We are in the process of searching for a new Lead Pastor, and we encourage you to join us by praying during this process.
This page is designed to help you know a bit about the journey we are on and encourage you to participate.
It is an exciting time at Open Door and we hope you join us!
In December 2018, NL Moore and Associates presented an opportunity profile that outlines the position of Lead Pastor. The Governing Board of Open Door approved this Opportunity Profile for the position of Lead Pastor of Open Door. Please continue to pray with us about who will fill this position, and feel free to pass along this information to interested pastors.
Prayer is our anchor, our comfort, and our work in this season of unfamiliar transition and change at Open Door.
Within this intimate relationship with God, we are to ask for what we need, listen for what God has to say, and put deep roots down into His will, His ways, and His peace. In solitude or in company with others, we simply – in Dallas Willard’s comfortable definition of prayer – “talk with God about what we and God are doing together.” In these next months at Open Door, we are partnering with God in the spiritual work of searching for a new lead pastor.
There are many people and moving parts involved in the search and succession process. As you pray, let God lead you; and pay attention to what you might hear from God as you hold this before Him. You might feel drawn to pray for a specific person or a particular part of the process, or you can follow the links below to sign up for a weekly prayer email or to use the Prayer Guide.
Sign up for the Weekly Sentinels Email
UPCOMING COMMUNITY PRAYER
All Church Prayer Gathering, Sun, May 19, 6-7:30pm
Our search for a new Lead Pastor involves a clear and well thought through process. Developed by NL Moore and implemented by the Governing Board of Open Door, we are currently working through this process that we believe God will use for us to find our next Lead Pastor.
Most Recent Update: Sun, Apr 14, 2019
- Lead Pastor Search: Our Search Team conducted video interviews with four candidates. They have invited two semifinalists to come onsite for further interviews and conversation at the end of April.
- Staff Update: Amanda Svensk has accepted the permanent position of Pastor of Next Generation. Members of staff, through their own prayerful discernment, have decided to step down from their staff positions during the past few months.
- MELA: Open Door has reached an agreement on an adjusted lease for the 2019-2020 school year with Minnesota Excellence in Learning Academy, who rents our space during the week.
- Financial Update: As we approach the close of our fiscal year at the end of June we have a $400k deficit in our annual giving goal.
- Conversation with Pastor Dave Johnson: Members of the Elder Board and Pastor Dave gave additional insight into the spirit and desire behind our covenant with Pastor Dave to keep him tethered to Open Door while also making space for our congregation and new leadership. We heard an update from Pastor Dave on how God is moving already and bringing things to light for Dave and Bonnie's next season of ministry.
- Continue to Pray: for guidance for the Search Team and pastoral candidates and their families. Please join us in prayer as we ask for God's provision as well as an openness for each of us about the role He would have us play in giving of our finances, time and talents.
*please note: there are five minutes of recording prior to the start of the meeting. The audio begins at 5:05.
A very important step in the search process was the creation of a Search Team. This team was commissioned by the Governing Board of Elders and is comprised of eleven members of Church of the Open Door. Doug Lang, who chairs the team, is joined by five women and five men. These individuals were intentionally chosen because they represent a cross-section of Open Door. Some of the factors taken into consideration were:
- Male and female would be equally represented.
- Age Range. A multi-generational Search Team, representing a broad range of ages.
- Ministry Areas. Search Team members have been or currently are involved in the ministry areas of Open Door.
- Length of Involvement. Team members have been involved here from 3 years to 30 years.
- A Governing Board liaison. Governing Elder, Dave Fredrickson, is a member of the Search Team.
- A Staff liaison. Pastor of Formational Life, Anne-Marie Finsaas, is a member of the Search Team.
The Search Team will begin its prayerful process of interviews and discernment once our consultants, NL Moore & Associates, present to the team a set of candidates whom they’ve prequalified for the Lead Pastor position. The team will follow a rigorous selection path for narrowing down the pool to one candidate that they will recommend to the board. The board will then arrange for the selected candidate to preach at Open Door and meet the congregation before a Member vote is held.
This team was commissioned by Church of the Open Door on Mar 18, 2018. Please continue to pray for this Search Team as they seek to discern the person God is calling to shepherd Open Door as our next Lead Pastor.
To help us navigate the process of finding a new Lead Pastor, we are partnering with NL Moore & Associates. Under the leadership of Nancy Moore, they are ministry consultants who love the local church and are committed to helping each local church thrive on its journey toward transformation.
As the Elders of Open Door, we are encouraged by NL Moore's consultation process. Beyond the professional manner in which NL Moore operates, we value Nancy's deep desire to be led by the Spirit of God as we move forward. Within a very short period of time, many in our congregation have expressed how much they appreciate Nancy's honesty, clarity, and wisdom. This confirms what we have sensed from the beginning and we are grateful for the partnership that has developed.
For more information about NL Moore and Associates, please follow these links to their website:
As we seek God together in our search for a new Lead Pastor, we pray God will also do a work in us as a people.
From the beginning there has been a clear sense that God is up to something here at Open Door, and it is more than just finding a new Lead Pastor. God is bringing us together so that we may truly be a community of people, radically committed to spiritual formation, for the sake of others.
Whether you are new to Open Door or have been a part of this church for a long time, we hope you are someone who carries this place in your heart. We also hope that you jump in and participate. Whether it is through prayer, serving, or simply being more intentional about engaging with this community, we invite you to be a part of this exciting journey!
If at any time you would like to share with the Governing Board of Open Door, or you have questions for the Governing Board, you are invited to email them directly. email@example.com
One way you could consider participating is through a special financial gift. To do this search process well, we have incurred some additional expenses that are over and above our current budget. If you would like to make a donation to this process and the future of Open Door, your support would be greatly appreciated.
All donations are tax deductible and can be made through this link.
Pastor David Johnson served as Senior Pastor and Lead Teaching Pastor at Open Door from November 1980-November 2018.
We are both grateful for what Dave has given to our church for 38 years and also excited to bless him as he looks forward to God's calling for his next season of ministry!
Dave's announcement (Mar 4, 2018) was the start of a new adventure for us as a people. For the first time in 38 years, we are searching for a new Lead Pastor.
Pastor Dave & his wife Bonnie continue to be tethered to Open Door as members of this church in their new season of ministry. The Governing Board of Elders have entered into a covenant with Pastor Dave to define the relationship and parameters of his involvement here.
We are grateful for the 38 years of ministry that David and Bonnie Johnson have given to our church. Church of the Open Door has made a financial commitment to them both as an affirmation of their ministry to our community, and as a blessing for the next chapter. We have created a Legacy Fund and and invite you to give towards this blessing with a financial donation.
This fund is desired to be a gift to long-time staff ministry leaders who helped shape Open Door, and to support these servants as they fulfill their personal ministries after their time on staff has ended. We bless them as they step out in faith into what God has next for them. This fund exists through generous donations from individuals like you. Your gift is tax deductible.