For many years God has been faithfully leading, guiding, and transforming us as a people.
Now we are in a new season of life at Open Door and we are excited to see what God has for us next. We are in the process of searching for a new Lead Pastor, and we encourage you to join us by praying during this process.
This page is designed to help you know a bit about the journey we are on and encourage you to participate.
It is an exciting time at Open Door and we hope you join us!
Prayer is our anchor, our comfort, and our work in this season of unfamiliar transition and change at Open Door. Within this intimate relationship with God, we are to ask for what we need, listen for what God has to say, and put deep roots down into His will, His ways, and His peace. In solitude or in company with others, we simply – in Dallas Willard’s comfortable definition of prayer – “talk with God about what we and God are doing together.” In these next months at Open Door, we are partnering with God in the spiritual work of searching for a new lead pastor.
There are many people and moving parts involved in the search and succession process. As you pray, let God lead you and pay attention to what you might hear from God as you hold this before Him. You might feel drawn to pray for a specific person or a particular part of the process, or you can sign up for the Weekly Sentinels Email to receive specific prayer requests.
Our search for a new Lead Pastor involves a clear and well thought through process. Developed by NL Moore and implemented by the Governing Board of Open Door, we are currently working through this process that we believe God will use to help us find our next Lead Pastor. Thank you for your continued prayers in these areas and in many others. We are seeing God at work in our community! If you are part of this church community and would like to receive updates like this one, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Most Recent Update: December 29, 2019
Governing Board updates:
- August 2019: Since offering the position of Lead Pastor to one candidate, the Governing Board has been in regular communication with the candidate and he has continued to communicate gratitude for the time and space to consider and pray. He is excited about Open Door and is earnestly and honestly seeking God through this. It has been beautiful to watch him make space to pray, wait, wrestle, and listen to what God has for him and for our church. We value and appreciate his heart, and that value has grown and been confirmed in the waiting and praying these past few weeks.
- September 2019: The Governing Board announced that our offer to our Lead Pastor candidate had been declined. The Board shared that our candidate had a challenging family situation that weighed heavily in their decision making process and they ultimately decided to stay at their current church. While this was a disappointing result both the Board, Search Team and our search consultants at NL Moore felt this process was handled with faith and obedience and God was at work in the lives of so many of those involved.
- October 2019: We decided to work with NL Moore to re-calibrate the search and begin again. A mini-survey would be sent to all Open Door community members to gather additional feedback and take note of all that God has done in the last 18 months. This information would further refine our Lead Pastor candidate profile as the search was re-started.
- December 2019: In January the Search Team will begin meeting with a new pool of Lead Pastor candidates. Please pray for wisdom and discernment for these candidates, their families, our Search Team and for our search consultants at NL Moore.
In December 2018, NL Moore and Associates presented an opportunity profile that outlines the position of Lead Pastor. The Governing Board of Open Door approved this Opportunity Profile for the position of Lead Pastor of Open Door. Please continue to pray with us about who will fill this position, and feel free to pass along this information to interested pastors.
A very important step in the search process was the creation of a Search Team. This team was commissioned by the Governing Board of Elders and is comprised of eleven members of Church of the Open Door. Doug Lang, who chairs the team, is joined by five women and four men. These individuals were intentionally chosen because they represent a cross-section of Open Door. Some of the factors taken into consideration were:
- Male and female would be equally represented.
- Age Range. A multi-generational Search Team, representing a broad range of ages.
- Ministry Areas. Search Team members have been or currently are involved in the ministry areas of Open Door.
- Length of Involvement. Team members have been involved here from 3 years to 30 years.
- A Governing Board liaison. Governing Elder, Ben Monseth, is a member of the Search Team.
- A Staff liaison. Kathy Collier, is a member of the Search Team.
The Search Team will begin its prayerful process of interviews and discernment once our consultants, NL Moore & Associates, present to the team a set of candidates whom they’ve prequalified for the Lead Pastor position. The team will follow a rigorous selection path for narrowing down the pool to one candidate that they will recommend to the board. The board will then arrange for the selected candidate to preach at Open Door and meet the congregation before a Member vote is held.
This team was commissioned by Church of the Open Door on November 24, 2019. Please pray for this Search Team as they seek to discern the person God is calling to shepherd Open Door as our next Lead Pastor.
To help us navigate the process of finding a new Lead Pastor, we are partnering with NL Moore & Associates. Under the leadership of Nancy Moore, they are ministry consultants who love the local church and are committed to helping each local church thrive on its journey toward transformation.
As the Elders of Open Door, we are encouraged by NL Moore's consultation process. Beyond the professional manner in which NL Moore operates, we value Nancy's deep desire to be led by the Spirit of God as we move forward. Within a very short period of time, many in our congregation have expressed how much they appreciate Nancy's honesty, clarity, and wisdom. This confirms what we have sensed from the beginning and we are grateful for the partnership that has developed.
For more information about NL Moore and Associates, please follow these links to their website:
As we seek God together in our search for a new Lead Pastor, we pray God will also do a work in us as a people.
From the beginning there has been a clear sense that God is up to something here at Open Door, and it is more than just finding a new Lead Pastor. God is bringing us together so that we may truly be a community of people, radically committed to spiritual formation, for the sake of others.
Whether you are new to Open Door or have been a part of this church for a long time, we hope you are someone who carries this place in your heart. We also hope that you jump in and participate. Whether it is through prayer, serving, or simply being more intentional about engaging with this community, we invite you to be a part of this exciting journey!
If at any time you would like to share with the Governing Board of Open Door, or you have questions for the Governing Board, you are invited to email them directly at email@example.com.
Pastor David Johnson served as Senior Pastor and Lead Teaching Pastor at Open Door from November 1980-November 2018.
We are both grateful for what Dave has given to our church for 38 years and also excited to bless him as he looks forward to God's calling for his next season of ministry!
Dave's announcement (Mar 4, 2018) was the start of a new adventure for us as a people. For the first time in 38 years, we are searching for a new Lead Pastor.
Pastor Dave & his wife Bonnie continue to be tethered to Open Door as members of this church in their new season of ministry. The Governing Board of Elders have entered into a covenant with Pastor Dave to define the relationship and parameters of his involvement here.